M170 - Ambulance Variant
A total of 4,155 M170 Frontline Ambulances were designed and produced by Kaiser Jeep of Toledo Ohio from the mid-1950's to the early 1960's. In essence, the M170 was a stretched M38A1 with an additional 20 inches added to the wheelbase for a total of 101". These vehicles (M170) were the predecessor of the CJ6 civilian model by approximately two years with production beginning in October 1953 for the M170 and August 1955 for the CJ6.
The vehicle required a crew of 2 to operate the vehicle. One was delegated driving duties while the other attended to the injured soldiers. The vehicles capacity was 6 sitting passengers or 3 on litters.
A larger fuel tank (20 gal) was installed to increase distance (300 miles) available between the front line and medical facilities. The spare tire was secured in a special wheel well on the right, interior side of the vehicle.
Standard accessories consisted of hand tools such as pliers, screwdrivers, hammer etc. In addition, vehicle tools were included consisting of a jack, handle, spark plug wrench and assorted wrenches all located under the passenger seat area. A canvas top, top bows, doors, stretchers and auxiliary power light were also included. The vehicle was not however fitted with the standard military pintle hitch on the rear or a front mounted winch.
To assist in reducing download time, Thumbnail pictures are below - simply click on the picture to see an enlarged version. To return to this page, use your Browsers BACK button.